The Twin Cities Archives Round Table is pleased to announce the sixth annual Minnesota Archives Symposium (MAS). MAS is a local educational and networking opportunity for archivists, librarians, records managers, curators and other information professionals. We seek to broaden opportunities to share knowledge and insights among peers at a local level. The Symposium will be held on Monday, November 6th at the Minneapolis Central Library.
This year’s topic will be: Back to Basics
As the role of the archivist and the nature of our work has evolved steadily over time, the foundation of our profession will always remain the same. The ways in which we process collections has evolved, but we still process. Our backlogs expand and contract, but we still have backlogs. This year we’re going back to the basics — discussing those universal issues that we all have year in and year out. Ideas for presentation topics include:
- Processing — are you still steadfast to MPLP? Has your approach to processing changed due to staffing, or content management systems, or space issues?
- Backlogs — how have you tackled the everlasting beast?
- Managing students/volunteers/interns — have you worked with volunteers in such a way that you both garner value from a project?
- Professional development — is certification necessary? How do you stretch your professional development budget?
- Donor relations — how do you create meaningful relationships with donors?
- Internal buy-in — how do you prove your worth to the powers-that-be?
This is not an exhaustive list, but will hopefully spur on ideas. We welcome presentations from archivists and information professionals at all levels of their career.
Call for Participants:
If you have a great idea but don’t think you can speak for an entire half hour or hour, please still submit your idea! We will attempt to pair you with other presenters with similar topics for a panel presentation.
If you are interested in presenting at the symposium, please provide us with a brief abstract and working title for your presentation, along with how long you wish to present (15 minutes/30 minutes/60 minutes). Include full contact information with submissions, including your name(s) and institution or school if applicable.
Submissions should be sent to email@example.com.
Deadline for submission is August 28th.
Save the Date!!! The Minnesota Archives Symposium will be held at the Minneapolis Central Library on Monday, November 6th. Registration is FREE, but we will ask that participants register their intent to attend. Look for more details on registering for this event on the TCART listserv and website.
Questions should be sent to the TCART Communications Officer Kate Dietrick at diet0134 @umn.edu.