Join the Hennepin County Library Special Collections and the Twin Cities Archives Round Table on Friday, November 15, 2013 for the second annual Minnesota Archives Symposium. This year’s theme is Making Connections: Advocacy, Awareness and Archives. Attend the Symposium to meet with your peers and learn what methods archivists, librarians, curators, and other information management professionals are doing to advocate and make connections with others, both within their institution and with the public.
Registration for this event is FREE.
Schedule of Events:
- 12:15-12:45 pm Optional HCL Archives Tour w/Ted Hathaway (must pre-register limit 20)
- 12:45-1:00 pm TCART Sponsored Pre-Symposium Coffee & Mingle Break
- 1:00-1:15 pm Speaker: Introduction to the Symposium
- 1:15-2:15 pm Session One: Advocating Within: Demonstrating the Value of Archives and Archivists with Jamie Martin, Freelance Archivist
- Learn from real-world examples of recent archival and career advocacy, including working with management, creation of new partnerships, and career changes & advancements. The presenter will discuss both successes and efforts that failed, highlighting practical tips, lessons learned, and how to succeed in spite of challenging circumstances.
- 2:15-2:45 pm TCART Sponsored Coffee & Mingle Break & Optional HCL Archives Tour w/Ted Hathaway (must pre-register limit 20)
- 2:45-3:45 pm Session Two: Using Interns and Volunteers to Improve Your Community Relations and Promote Future Librarian and Archivists (While Still Supporting Your Operations) with Ted Hathaway, Manager Special Collections, Hennepin County Library
- Learn how to recruit, manage, motivate and recognize volunteers or interns. This presentation will help you match them to appropriate tasks and give you an idea of their commitment level. It will also guide you in making their volunteer or intern experience personally useful and rewarding. The presenter will draw on years of experience working with volunteers and interns for a special collections and archives department at a large public library.
- 3:45pm-4:00 pm TCART Sponsored Coffee & Mingle Break
- 4:00-5:00 pm Session Three Making Deeper Connections: How Community Outreach Can Strengthen Support for Special Collections and Create More Meaningful Programming with Elissah Becknell, Librarian & Instructor, Minneapolis Community & Technical College, and Rebecca March, Librarian & Instructor, Minneapolis Community & Technical College
- Learn how to promote a special collection through community outreach, events and programming. Attendees will learn strategies on how to identify and engage different user populations that may be interested in their collections. The presenters also discuss the importance of collaboration with community members with common interests or shared goals.
Registration Information: The Minnesota Archives Symposium will be held in the Mary and David Doty Board Room (2nd floor) at Central Public Library in Minneapolis, MN from 1:00 – 5:00 PM on Friday, November 15.
Registration is FREE, but we ask that participants register their intent to attend by filling out a registration form by Friday, November 8th for planning purposes. You can find the form online here:
Questions? Please contact TCART or Elissah Becknell for questions and information.